How to Become a Dental Assistant in Washington

How to Become a Dental Assistant in Washington

So you want to know how to become a dental assistant in Washington, but the process is wholly dependent on what position you would like.  There is the registered dental assistant, expanded function dental auxiliary, dental anesthesia assistant, and the nationally recognized certified dental assistant. There are also a radiography requirements to complete if you want to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiography procedures. With that said, here is how to become a dental assistant in Washington with dental assistant salary information as well.

Dental Assistant Salary in Washington

Campus Explorer Banner

Registered Dental Assistant (RDA)

how to become a dental assistant in washingtonAll dental assistant in the state of Washington must be registered. As a registered dental assistant, you are able to perform all the supportive procedures that listed under Washington’s dental regulations, which you can view here. To qualify for registration, you must:

1. Send a completed application form to the Washington State Dental Quality Assurance Commission (DQAC), AND

2. Pay applicable fees, AND

3. Send proof of completion of a 7 hour course in AIDS education and training, AND

4. Provide other necessary information determined by the DQAC

**Dental assistant registration must be renewed annually and all registered dental assistants must maintain current Basic Life Support certification**

Expanded Functions

For sealant/fluoride varnish for children in school based programs, you must:

1. Have at least 200 hours of employed experience by a Washington licensed dentist, with theoretical and clinical training in the application of dental sealants and fluoride varnish treatments, and verified by the licensed dentist who provided training, AND

2a. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program, OR

2b. Continue education courses, OR

2c. Individual training by a Washington licensed dentist, AND

3. Apply to the Washington State Dental Quality Assurance Commission for endorsement

For monitoring of sedation and general anesthesia, you must:

1. Complete a 14 hour course on instruction and practical experience in the use of equipment

Expanded Function Dental Auxiliary (EFDA)

An expanded function dental auxiliary allows you to perform additional functions, such as coronal polishing, fluoride treatment, sealant application, and radiography procedures. More info from DQAC here. To become an EFDA, you must:

1a. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program, OR

1b. Have current DANB CDA certification, AND

2. Complete an DQAC approved EFDA course, AND

3. Pass the Washington State Restorative Exam (WARE), AND

4. Pass the clinical exam administered by the Western Regional Examining Board, AND

5. Send proof of completion of a 7 hour course in AIDS education and training, AND

6. Provide other necessary information determined by the DQAC, AND

7. Apply to the DQAC for an EFDA license

**All EFDAs must maintain current Basic Life Support certification**

Dental Anesthesia Assistant

A dental anesthesia assistant is able to perform intravenous medication, sedation, general anesthesia procedures. In order to qualify as a dental anesthesia assistant, you must:

1. Complete and send an application form to the DQAC (forms provided by DQAC), AND

2. Pay applicable fees, AND

3a. Complete the Dental Anesthesia Assistant National Certification Examination (DAANCE) provided by AAOMS, OR

3b. Complete the Oral and Maxilloficial Surgery Assistants Course from the CALAOMS, OR

3c.  Complete equivalent education and training approved by DQAC, AND

4a. Complete training in intravenous access or phlebotomy that includes 8 hours of didactic training and clinical experience, with at least 10 successful intravenous starts, OR

4b. Proof of equivalent education and training approved by DQAC, AND

5.  Maintain certification in basic life support, advanced cardiac life support, or pediatric advanced life support, AND

6. A valid general anesthesia permit from the oral and maxillofacial surgeon or dental anesthesiologist where you will be working, AND

7. Proof of completion of a 7 hour course in AIDS education and training, AND

8. Provide other necessary information determined by the DQAC

How to Become a Certified Dental Assistant in Washington

You also have the option to become a certified dental assistant (CDA), which allows you to earn more as well as receive additional benefits. The process isn’t too difficult and requires you to:

1. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program OR have at least 2 years/3,500 hours of experience as a dental assistant, AND

2. Obtain CPR certification from a DANB accepted provider, AND

3. Apply for and pass the DANB CDA exam

Campus Explorer Banner

Radiography Requirements

If you wish to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiography procedures, you must have the necessary training in safe operating procedures and show competence in the following areas.

(1) Familiarization with equipment
(a) Identification of controls
(b) Function of each control
(c) The use of a technique chart

(2) Radiation protection
(a) Collimation
(b) Filtration
(c) Gonad shielding and other patient protection devices
(d) Restriction of x-ray tube radiation to the image receptor
(e) Personnel protection
(f) Grids

(3) Film processing
(a) Film speed as relates to patient exposure
(b) Film processing parameters
(c) Quality assurance and quality control

Dental Assisting Schools in Washington

Matching School Ads

Get personalized attention with UMA.

One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services-they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training online and at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.


  • Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant

Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*


  • Medical Assisting

100% Online & No Standardized Testing

We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.


  • Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
  • Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
  • Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
  • RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
  • GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
  • The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
  • Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.


  • M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)

Welcome to Argosy University

Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges:  College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education,  College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.


  • Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)

You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.

At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.


  • Master's – Healthcare Management
  • Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management

You can advance your career with a degree from Charter College Online. We offer several Associates and Bachelors degrees in the business, health care, accounting and legal fields. Our accelerated programs are designed to help you complete your degree as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We help students get not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.


  • Certificate - Medical Office Administrative Assistant

Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.  We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.



  • Doctor of Education - Nursing Education

Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities. Established in 1997, the Milken Institute SPH brings together the fields of medicine, business and education to develop professionals with the skills and knowledge to tackle complex global health challenges. 

You need to have a Bachelor’s degree to be qualified for this school.


  • Master of Public Health
Cortiva Institute School of Massage Therapy's innovative program will help you learn the art of massage therapy and introduce you to a range of career opportunities. Through a holistic approach to education, you'll be well-trained to work in clinics, hospitals, health clubs, spas, with sport teams, or to start a private practice.


  • Massage Therapy Program
Locations: Federal Way