How to Become a Dental Assistant in Washington
How to Become a Dental Assistant in Washington
So you want to know how to become a dental assistant in Washington, but the process is wholly dependent on what position you would like. There is the registered dental assistant, expanded function dental auxiliary, dental anesthesia assistant, and the nationally recognized certified dental assistant. There are also a radiography requirements to complete if you want to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiography procedures. With that said, here is how to become a dental assistant in Washington with dental assistant salary information as well.
Dental Assistant Salary in Washington
Registered Dental Assistant (RDA)
All dental assistant in the state of Washington must be registered. As a registered dental assistant, you are able to perform all the supportive procedures that listed under Washington’s dental regulations, which you can view here. To qualify for registration, you must:
1. Send a completed application form to the Washington State Dental Quality Assurance Commission (DQAC), AND
2. Pay applicable fees, AND
3. Send proof of completion of a 7 hour course in AIDS education and training, AND
4. Provide other necessary information determined by the DQAC
**Dental assistant registration must be renewed annually and all registered dental assistants must maintain current Basic Life Support certification**
For sealant/fluoride varnish for children in school based programs, you must:
1. Have at least 200 hours of employed experience by a Washington licensed dentist, with theoretical and clinical training in the application of dental sealants and fluoride varnish treatments, and verified by the licensed dentist who provided training, AND
2b. Continue education courses, OR
2c. Individual training by a Washington licensed dentist, AND
3. Apply to the Washington State Dental Quality Assurance Commission for endorsement
For monitoring of sedation and general anesthesia, you must:
1. Complete a 14 hour course on instruction and practical experience in the use of equipment
Expanded Function Dental Auxiliary (EFDA)
An expanded function dental auxiliary allows you to perform additional functions, such as coronal polishing, fluoride treatment, sealant application, and radiography procedures. More info from DQAC here. To become an EFDA, you must:
1b. Have current DANB CDA certification, AND
2. Complete an DQAC approved EFDA course, AND
3. Pass the Washington State Restorative Exam (WARE), AND
4. Pass the clinical exam administered by the Western Regional Examining Board, AND
5. Send proof of completion of a 7 hour course in AIDS education and training, AND
6. Provide other necessary information determined by the DQAC, AND
7. Apply to the DQAC for an EFDA license
**All EFDAs must maintain current Basic Life Support certification**
Dental Anesthesia Assistant
A dental anesthesia assistant is able to perform intravenous medication, sedation, general anesthesia procedures. In order to qualify as a dental anesthesia assistant, you must:
1. Complete and send an application form to the DQAC (forms provided by DQAC), AND
2. Pay applicable fees, AND
3a. Complete the Dental Anesthesia Assistant National Certification Examination (DAANCE) provided by AAOMS, OR
3c. Complete equivalent education and training approved by DQAC, AND
4a. Complete training in intravenous access or phlebotomy that includes 8 hours of didactic training and clinical experience, with at least 10 successful intravenous starts, OR
4b. Proof of equivalent education and training approved by DQAC, AND
5. Maintain certification in basic life support, advanced cardiac life support, or pediatric advanced life support, AND
6. A valid general anesthesia permit from the oral and maxillofacial surgeon or dental anesthesiologist where you will be working, AND
7. Proof of completion of a 7 hour course in AIDS education and training, AND
8. Provide other necessary information determined by the DQAC
How to Become a Certified Dental Assistant in Washington
1. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program OR have at least 2 years/3,500 hours of experience as a dental assistant, AND
2. Obtain CPR certification from a DANB accepted provider, AND
3. Apply for and pass the DANB CDA exam
If you wish to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiography procedures, you must have the necessary training in safe operating procedures and show competence in the following areas.
(1) Familiarization with equipment
(a) Identification of controls
(b) Function of each control
(c) The use of a technique chart
(2) Radiation protection
(c) Gonad shielding and other patient protection devices
(d) Restriction of x-ray tube radiation to the image receptor
(e) Personnel protection
(3) Film processing
(a) Film speed as relates to patient exposure
(b) Film processing parameters
(c) Quality assurance and quality control
Dental Assisting Schools in Washington
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Dental Assisting
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
Maryville University is a private university in St. Louis County, Missouri. Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a comprehensive and nationally ranked private institution with an enrollment of more than 6,800 students.
- Online MHA Concentration in Population Management
- Online MHA Concentration in Senior Services
- Online General MHA
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator