How to Become a Dental Assistant In Tennessee
How to Become a Dental Assistant In Tennessee
So you are probably wondering how to become a dental assistant in Tennessee but there are a few positions you can pursue. There is the practical dental assistant, registered dental assistant, registered dental assistant qualified in expanded functions, and of course the nationally recognized certified dental assistant. There are also requirements you have to meet if you want to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiographic procedures. Here is how to become a dental assistant in Tennessee with dental assistant salary figures as well.
Dental Assistant Salary in Tennessee
Practical Dental Assistant
A practical dental assistant is essentially an employee of a licensed dentist training to become a dental assistant by either receiving chair side training or is currently a student in a CODA accredited program. A practical dental assistant is able to perform most of the basic supportive procedures listed under Tennessee’s dental regulations under the supervision of a licensed dentist. You can view the allowable duties here.
Registered Dental Assistant (RDA)
The next position on the ladder is the registered dental assistant (RDA), who is officially licensed by the state of Tennessee. A registered dental assistant can perform all the procedures listed under the state’s dental regulations, which you can view here. To become an RDA you will need to:
1. Complete high school or its equivalent (e.g. GED)
2. Be at least 18 years old
3. Obtain CPR certificate from a Board-approved provider
4. Apply to the Tennessee Board of Dentistry for registration
Registered Dental Assistant Qualified in Expanded Functions
The next position is a registered dental assistant qualified in expanded functions, which allows you to perform expanded functions such as coronal polishing, applying sealants, monitoring nitrous oxide, and performing expanded restorative and/or prosthetic functions. For each individual function you will need to obtain state certification.
For coronal polishing you must:
1. Complete a Board-approved course in coronal polishing that includes a written and clinical exam portion. To qualify for the course, you must already be an RDA
2. Send proof to the Tennessee Board of Dentistry to receive your certificate in coronal polishing
For applying sealants you must:
1. Complete a Board-approved course in sealant application. To qualify for the course, you must either be an RDA or enrolled in a CODA accredited or Board-approved dental assisting program that offers such a course
2. Send proof to the Tennessee Board of Dentistry to receive your certificate in sealant application
For monitoring nitrous oxide you must:
1. Complete a Board-approved course in monitoring nitrous oxide. To qualify for the course, you must either be an RDA or enrolled in a CODA accredited or Board-approved dental assisting program that offers such a course
2. Send proof to the Tennessee Board of Dentistry to receive your certificate in nitrous oxide monitoring
For performing expanded restorative and/or prosthetic functions you must:
1. Have 2 years of experience as a full time registered dental assistant in the past 3 years
2. Complete a Board-approved certification course
3. Send proof to the Tennessee Board of Dentistry to receive your certificate in expanded restorative and/or prosthetic functions
How to Become a Certified Dental Assistant in Tennessee
There is also the option to become a certified dental assistant (CDA), which is nationally recognized position that allows you to earn a higher salary as well as receive other benefits. You will also be able to apply for a dental radiology certificate as well. Becoming certified should always be considered if you are thinking of becoming a dental assistant, as the process is not difficult but the rewards are plenty. In order to become certified you must:
1. Complete a CODA approved dental assisting program OR have 2 years/3,500 hours of experience as a dental assistant
2. Obtain CPR certification from a DANB accepted provider
3. Apply for the DANB CDA exam and pass it. After passing the exam you will have earned CDA status
In order to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiographic procedures you are going to need to obtain a certificate in dental radiology. There are a few requirements to meet first, which are:
1. Be a registered dental assistant (RDA)
2a. Complete a Tennessee Board-approved course in radiology, OR
2b. Complete a similar dental radiology training program in another state, OR
2c. Complete a CODA accredited or Board-approved dental assisting program that includes a dental radiology course
2d. Be a current DANB certified dental assistant (CDA)
3. Send proof to the Tennessee Board of Dentistry to receive a certificate in dental radiology
Dental Assisting Schools in Tennessee
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Dental Assistant Program
- Dental Assisting
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Office Administration
- Medical Assisting
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- CERT Medical Assisting
- AAS Medical Assisting
- AS Health Science (Pre-Pharmacy)
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Medical Office Specialist Diploma
- Medical Assistant Associate's Degree
- Medical Assistant Diploma
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Public Health (MPH)
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Public Health Global Health
- Master of Public Health: Nutrition
- Master of Public Health: Health Promotion
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator