How to Become a Dental Assistant In Tennessee
How to Become a Dental Assistant In Tennessee
So you are probably wondering how to become a dental assistant in Tennessee but there are a few positions you can pursue. There is the practical dental assistant, registered dental assistant, registered dental assistant qualified in expanded functions, and of course the nationally recognized certified dental assistant. There are also requirements you have to meet if you want to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiographic procedures. Here is how to become a dental assistant in Tennessee with dental assistant salary figures as well.
Dental Assistant Salary in Tennessee
Practical Dental Assistant
A practical dental assistant is essentially an employee of a licensed dentist training to become a dental assistant by either receiving chair side training or is currently a student in a CODA accredited program. A practical dental assistant is able to perform most of the basic supportive procedures listed under Tennessee’s dental regulations under the supervision of a licensed dentist. You can view the allowable duties here.
Registered Dental Assistant (RDA)
The next position on the ladder is the registered dental assistant (RDA), who is officially licensed by the state of Tennessee. A registered dental assistant can perform all the procedures listed under the state’s dental regulations, which you can view here. To become an RDA you will need to:
1. Complete high school or its equivalent (e.g. GED)
2. Be at least 18 years old
3. Obtain CPR certificate from a Board-approved provider
4. Apply to the Tennessee Board of Dentistry for registration
Registered Dental Assistant Qualified in Expanded Functions
The next position is a registered dental assistant qualified in expanded functions, which allows you to perform expanded functions such as coronal polishing, applying sealants, monitoring nitrous oxide, and performing expanded restorative and/or prosthetic functions. For each individual function you will need to obtain state certification.
For coronal polishing you must:
1. Complete a Board-approved course in coronal polishing that includes a written and clinical exam portion. To qualify for the course, you must already be an RDA
2. Send proof to the Tennessee Board of Dentistry to receive your certificate in coronal polishing
For applying sealants you must:
1. Complete a Board-approved course in sealant application. To qualify for the course, you must either be an RDA or enrolled in a CODA accredited or Board-approved dental assisting program that offers such a course
2. Send proof to the Tennessee Board of Dentistry to receive your certificate in sealant application
For monitoring nitrous oxide you must:
1. Complete a Board-approved course in monitoring nitrous oxide. To qualify for the course, you must either be an RDA or enrolled in a CODA accredited or Board-approved dental assisting program that offers such a course
2. Send proof to the Tennessee Board of Dentistry to receive your certificate in nitrous oxide monitoring
For performing expanded restorative and/or prosthetic functions you must:
1. Have 2 years of experience as a full time registered dental assistant in the past 3 years
2. Complete a Board-approved certification course
3. Send proof to the Tennessee Board of Dentistry to receive your certificate in expanded restorative and/or prosthetic functions
How to Become a Certified Dental Assistant in Tennessee
There is also the option to become a certified dental assistant (CDA), which is nationally recognized position that allows you to earn a higher salary as well as receive other benefits. You will also be able to apply for a dental radiology certificate as well. Becoming certified should always be considered if you are thinking of becoming a dental assistant, as the process is not difficult but the rewards are plenty. In order to become certified you must:
1. Complete a CODA approved dental assisting program OR have 2 years/3,500 hours of experience as a dental assistant
2. Obtain CPR certification from a DANB accepted provider
3. Apply for the DANB CDA exam and pass it. After passing the exam you will have earned CDA status
In order to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiographic procedures you are going to need to obtain a certificate in dental radiology. There are a few requirements to meet first, which are:
1. Be a registered dental assistant (RDA)
2a. Complete a Tennessee Board-approved course in radiology, OR
2b. Complete a similar dental radiology training program in another state, OR
2c. Complete a CODA accredited or Board-approved dental assisting program that includes a dental radiology course
2d. Be a current DANB certified dental assistant (CDA)
3. Send proof to the Tennessee Board of Dentistry to receive a certificate in dental radiology
Dental Assisting Schools in Tennessee
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor degree programs for careers in the business, health care, criminal justice, paralegal studies and computer technology fields.
- Dental Assisting, Associates Degree
- Dental Assisting, Diploma
- Medical Assisting, Associate of Science
- And more...
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Assistant
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- CERT Medical Assisting
- AS Medical Assisting
- BS Health Science w/Con in Nuclear Medicine
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Clinical Assistant - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate of Applied Science
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Medical Office Specialist Diploma
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Public Health (MPH)
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities. Established in 1997, the Milken Institute SPH brings together the fields of medicine, business and education to develop professionals with the skills and knowledge to tackle complex global health challenges.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree to be qualified for this school.
- Master of Public Health