How to Become a Dental Assistant in South Carolina
How to Become a Dental Assistant in South Carolina
So you are probably wondering how to become a dental assistant in South Carolina. Fortunately there are only a few requirements you will have to meet. There are two job titles you can obtain, which are dental assistant and expanded duty dental assistant. And of course you always have the option to become a certified dental assistant(CDA). Also, if you would like to operate dental x-ray equipment you will need to obtain a certificate allowing you to do so. Here’s how to become a dental assistant in South Carolina, as well as dental assistant salary details too.
Dental Assistant Salary in South Carolina
To become a basic dental assistant you don’t need any formal training or educational requirements. That sounds like a breeze, doesn’t it? As a dental assistant you will be able to perform any basic supportive dental procedures that the state of South Carolina allows in its dental laws, as long as they are under the supervision of a licensed dentist of course. Available duties can be viewed here.
Expanded Duty Dental Assistant EDDA
The next position in the chain is an expanded duty dental assistant (EDDA), who are able to perform expanded functions that are listed in South Carolina’s dental laws. In order to become one you will have to earn the status of EDDA, but this is quite easy. In fact, if you stay employed as a full-time dental assistant for at least 2 years you will be able to perform expanded duties. For more information you can visit the South Carolina Board of Dentistry. The process requires that you either:
1a. Complete a CODA-accredited dental assistant program, OR
1b. Have 2 years of experience as a full-time chair-side dental assistant
**To monitor nitrous oxide sedation an EDDA must complete a Board-approved course, complete the state board examination, submit proof of CPR certification to the Board, and apply for state certification.**
How to Become a Certified Dental Assistant in South Carolina
Besides a basic dental assistant and expanded duty dental assistant, you always have the option to become a nationally recognized certified dental assistant (CDA). This is often viewed as the highest position of dental assisting in the US and allows you to perform expanded functions as well as earn more. To become a certified dental assistant you will need to:
1a. Complete a CODA accredited program OR
1b. Have at least 2 years/3500 hours of on the job training
2. Obtain CPR certification from a DANB accepted CPR provider
3. Apply for and pass the DANB CDA exam
You are going to have to obtain a certificate that’s accepted by the DHEC if you wish to operate dental x-ray equipment. To receive a certificate you must:
1a. Complete a CODA accredited dental assistant program OR
1b. Hold CDA certification or the DANB RHS certification OR
1c. Obtain a certificate in radiation safety from the South Carolina Dental Association OR
1d. Certificate showing proof of completion of a radiation safety training course
Dental Assisting Schools in South Carolina
- Ready to Start Your Career? Get More Info From Fortis Today.
- Dental Assistant Program
- Dental Assisting
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- CERT Medical Assisting
- AAS Medical Assisting
- AS Health Science (Pre-Pharmacy)
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Medical Office Specialist Diploma
- Medical Assistant Associate's Degree
- Medical Assistant Diploma
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
Helms College, a nonprofit post-secondary career college operated by Goodwill Industries of Middle Georgia and the CSRA, has been granted continued accreditation by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET), a national accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- Multi-Skilled Medical Assistant
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing - Master's
- Veterinary Assisting
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)