How to Become a Dental Assistant in Ohio
How to Become a Dental Assistant in Ohio
If you are wondering how to become a dental assistant in Ohio you will have to do a few things depending on what type of dental assistant you want to be. For the most part the process will be relatively easy but there are different types of dental assistants, some will require more training than others for extended functions and some that require little, like basic personnel. There are also radiography requirements if you wish to perform x-rays. Here is how to become a dental assistant in Ohio, with some information on dental assistant salary too.
Dental Assistant Salary in Ohio
Basic Personnel Dental Assistant
As you may have already guessed, basic personnel are qualified to perform basic functions that are specified in the state of Ohio, and only need either on the job training from an employer, in office training, or basic training from a dental assistant school or community college.
Besides being able to perform basic functions, basic personnel can also become qualified to monitor nitrous oxide sedation. What is required is:
1. Complete a life-support training course and remain current when monitoring N2O-O2, AND
2a. Successfully complete a six-hour course in N2O-O2 monitoring and pass a test, OR
2b. Graduated on or after 1/1/10 from a CODA-accredited dental assisting program that had equivalent training, OR
2c. Hold proof issued by another state that shows you are allowed to monitor N2O-O2, AND
3. Have at least 2 years of practice and at least 3,000 hours of dental assisting experience
Expanded Functions Dental Assistant
There is also the position of expanded functions dental assistant, which is also known as expanded functions dental auxiliary (EFDA for short). This position allows for extra capabilities under the supervision of a licensed dentist, and to qualify as an EFDA you must:
1. Complete an Ohio approved and CODA accredited EFDA training course, AND
2. Pass the EFDA exam administered by the Commission on Dental Testing in Ohio or an exam accepted by the Ohio State Dental Board, AND
3. Hold a current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification, AND
4. Apply to the Ohio State Dental Board for registration as an EFDA with proof of immunity against hepatitis B
How to Become a Certified Dental Assistant in Ohio
The best dental assistant position is to become a certified DA, which will allow for even more functions than the EFDA, not to mention a higher salary and a higher chance of getting hired. The Ohio State Dental Board recognizes certification from either the DANB or the Ohio Commission on Dental Assistant Certification (OCDAC). Certified dental assistants may qualify to perform pit and fissure sealants placement and coronal polishing if additional requirements are met. To become a DANB CDA, you must:
1. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program OR have at least 2 years/3,500 hours of dental assisting experience, AND
2. Obtain CPR certification, AND
To perform coronal polishing, a certified dental assistant must acquire a certificate from the Ohio State Dental Board allowing you to do so. To receive this certificate you must:
1. Complete an Ohio Board-approved training program in coronal polishing, AND
2. Pass a standardized test after completing a skills assessment of an approved training program or pass DANB’s Coronal Polish (CP) exam, AND
3. Apply for certification to perform coronal polishing from the Ohio State Dental Board
Pit and Fissure Sealants
To perform pit and fissure sealants a certified dental assistant must:
1. Complete a course with a minimum of 2 hours of educational instruction and 6 hours of clinical instruction, AND
2. Successfully apply at least 6 sealants under the supervision of a dentist
To perform radiography procedures and operate dental x-ray equipment, you will have to obtain a dental assistant radiographer certificate. To do so, you must:
1a. Be a current DANB CDA, OR
1b. Complete a Board approved training course in dental radiography which includes a clinical section (e.g. DANB RHS Review Course), OR
1c. Have a certificate from the Ohio Commission on Dental Assistant Certification, OR
1d. Hold a license/certificate from another state that is deemed equivalent to Ohio’s standards, AND
2. Apply to the Ohio State Dental Board for a certificate
Dental Assisting Schools in Ohio
- Earn Your Surgical Technologist Degree at Fortis. Apply Now!
- Dental Assistant Program
- Dental Assisting
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
Professional Skills Institute provides industry-modeled, hands-on medical training to prepare graduates for a new career as a Medical Office Assistant, Medical Billing and Coding Specialist, or Pharmacy Technician.
You could start your healthcare career in less time than you think! PSI is the choice for healthcare training that leads to employment.
- Medical Office Assistant
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Exercise Science
- Veterinary Assisting
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Join GCU's Colangelo College of Business and start down the path to a successful business career.
- Bachelor's and master's degrees that help prepare students to be business leaders.
- Leading-edge degrees that address the demands of contemporary business environments.
- Online and evening classes designed to meet the needs of working students and adults.
- Committed to providing students a values-based education centered on Christian principles
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online