How to Become a Dental Assistant in Massachusetts
How to Become a Dental Assistant in Massachusetts
So you want to learn how to become a dental assistant in Massachusetts, but the requirements will vary depending on what position you would like. There is the on-the-job trained dental assistant, formally trained dental assistant, expanded function dental assistant, and last but not least the nationally recognized certified dental assistant. There are also some radiography requirements you will have to complete if you wish to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiography procedures. Well then, let’s continue on how to become a dental assistant in Massachusetts, as well as learn how much the dental assistant salary in Massachusetts is.
Dental Assistant Salary in Massachusetts
On the Job Trained Dental Assistant
There are no education or formal training requirements to complete to become an on the job trained dental assistant. As you can guess by the job title, you will receive training on the job, and allowed to perform any functions that are listed under Massachusetts dental practice laws. You can find the allowed duties here.
Formally Trained Dental Assistant
Now as you can guess with the job title, whereas an on the job trained dental assistant receives training on the job, a formally trained dental assistant has gone through a formal education or training program. In order to qualify for this position, you must:
1. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program or a dental assisting program that is either recognized by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges or the Massachusetts Department of Education
Expanded Function Dental Assistant (EFDA)
An expanded function dental assistant (EFDA) is allowed to perform additional functions, but must first meet the following requirements:
1. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program, AND
2. Have current DANB CDA certification (see below), AND
3. Complete an expanded functions program from a CODA accredited program
How to Become a Certified Dental Assistant in Massachusetts
A certified dental assistant (CDA) in Massachusetts has the potential to earn more as well as receive extra benefits. This nationally recognized position has a few requirements to meet, which includes:
1. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program OR have at least 2 years/3,500 hours of dental assisting experience, AND
2. Obtain CPR certification from a DANB accepted provider, AND
3. Apply for and pass the DANB certified dental assistant (CDA) exam
In order to legally operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiography procedures, you must meet a few requirements, which will vary depending on whether you are performing radiography procedures under the direct supervision or general supervision of a licensed dentist. The requirements are as follows:
Under the direct supervision of a dentist, you must:
1a. Be an on the job trained dental assistant, AND
1b. Complete a course in radiologic techniques and safeguards, AND
1c. Pass the DANB RHS or Board approved exam within one year of course completion
2a. Be a Formally Trained Dental Assistant, AND
2b. Complete a course in radiologic techniques and safeguards
Under the general supervision of a dentist, you must:
1a. Be a current DANB certified dental assistant (CDA), OR
1b. Be an expanded function dental assistant
2. Complete a course in radiologic techniques and safeguards
Dental Assisting Schools in Massachusetts
At Porter and Chester Institute, we’re serious about preparing you for career success. By completing one of our Automotive, Computer, Healthcare, or Trades programs, you’ll enjoy five advantages during your job search:
1. You gain knowledge and skills employers want you to know.
2. You learn from instructors who’ve worked in the field.
3. You learn by doing through hands-on instruction.
4. You develop personal skills and habits to become more employable.
5. You enhance your job interview skills and résumé.
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Assisting
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Assistant
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Assistant-CERT
- Clinical Medical Assistant-CERT
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
New England Institute of Technology is a private, non-profit, co-educational technical university offering over 50 Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree programs. As a leader in technical career education in southern New England, New England Institute of Technology (also known as New England Tech or NEIT) is committed to providing hands-on technological programs that prepare graduates for positions of leadership in the technical, industrial, business, and allied health communities. Most of our associate degree programs can be completed in as little as 18 months, and bachelor’s degree programs in as little as three years. Last year, over 3,000 students chose New England Tech for the hands-on laboratory and classroom training that provides the necessary skills to begin their technical careers.
- BS - Rehabilitation Sciences
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education