How to Become a Dental Assistant in Louisiana
How to Become a Dental Assistant in Louisiana
We are going to walk you through how to become a dental assistant in Louisiana today, which there are several positions to choose from. There is the dental assistant, expanded duty dental assistant, and of course the nationally recognized certified dental assistant. You must also meet some radiography requirements in order to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiography procedures. Here is how to become a dental assistant in Louisiana, as well as some details on dental assistant salary.
Dental Assistant Salary in Louisiana
To become a dental assistant in Louisiana, you do not need to have any education or formal training. Most dental assistants receive training on the job, which is considered sufficient. As a dental assistant, you are allowed to perform any basic supportive dental procedure as specified in Louisiana’s dental laws. You can view all allowable functions here. You can also find more information at the Louisiana State Board of Dentistry.
Expanded Duty Dental Assistant (EDDA)
In order to perform expanded functions in Louisiana, you must earn the status of expanded duty dental assistant (EDDA), which requires you to:
1. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program, with documentation in training in all functions that EDDAs are allowed to perform, AND
2. Complete a Board approved course in dental radiography, AND
3. Obtain and maintain CPR/BLS certification from a Board approved provider, AND
4. Apply to the Louisiana State Board of Dentistry for EDDA certification
**The LSBD only recognizes the EDDA certificate earned through an EDDA course from either the Louisiana State University School of Dentistry, University of Louisiana at Monroe, and Southern University at Shreveport**
How to Become a Certified Dental Assistant in Louisiana
A certified dental assistant (CDA) is a nationally recognized position that allows you to earn more as well as receive additional benefits. Becoming certified is highly recommended, and in order to do so, you must:
1. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program OR have at least 2 years/3,500 hours of dental assisting experience, AND
2. Obtain CPR certification from a DANB accepted provider, AND
3. Apply for and pass the national DANB CDA exam
To operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiography procedures, you must:
1. Complete a Board approved course in x-ray function and safety within 6 months of employment, AND
2. Perform x-ray functions under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist
Dental Assisting Schools in Louisiana
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Office Specialist
- Medical Assistant
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected and innovative Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Clinical Medical Assisting - Diploma
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Medical Assisting
Ultimate Medical Academy Educates Future Healthcare Professionals
You bring your goals and motivation to UMA, and we will provide you the education and the support to help make you a success! Even if you haven’t been serious about your career before, we can help boost your confidence and prepare you for a career in healthcare.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing