How to Become a Dental Assistant In Iowa
How to Become a Dental Assistant In Iowa
So, you are probably wondering how to become a dental assistant in Iowa, but it will depend on what position you want. You have the choice of being a dental assistant trainee, a registered dental assistant, a registered dental assistant qualified in expanded duties, and of course the nationally recognized certified dental assistant. There are also a few requirements you will have to meet if you want to operate dental x-ray equipment. So with that being said, here is how to become a dental assistant in Iowa with figures on dental assistant salary too.
Dental Assistant Salary in Iowa
Dental Assistant Trainee
The position of dental assistant trainee is exactly what it sounds like, a dental assistant in training to become a registered dental assistant. You will need to make sure you have a trainee status certificate before the first date of employment, and you can obtain a certificate from the Iowa Dental Board. Prior to applying to the Board, you must:
1a. Complete high school or its equivalent (e.g. GED) AND be at least 17 years old, OR
1b. Be enrolled in an education or work study program offered through an Iowa high school, AND
2. Apply to the Iowa Dental Board for a trainee status certificate
Registered Dental Assistant (RDA)
A registered dental assistant (RDA) is a position that is recognized in the state of Iowa and you will need to receive a license first. Doing so will allow you to perform all of the duties listed under Iowa’s dental regulations. To qualify as an RDA, you must:
1a. Have at least six months of work experience as a dental assistant trainee, OR
1b. If out of state, have at least six months of prior work experience as a dental assistant within the past two years, OR
1c. Complete a CODA accredited dental assistant program approved by the Board, AND
2. Complete a course of study in infection control, hazardous materials, and jurisprudence that is approved by the Board. The course of study can be taken as part of an accredited dental assisting program or on the job with guidelines that are approved by the Board, AND
3. Complete and pass the required exams in infection control, hazardous materials, and jurisprudence. Exams may be taken from Board approved testing centers or by taking the DANB Infection Control Exam (ICE), AND
4. Obtain CPR certification, AND
5. Apply to the Iowa Dental Board for an RDA license of registration
Registered Dental Assistant with Expanded Duties Training
A registered dental assistant with expanded duties training may perform specific functions after receiving Board approved training. A registered dental assistant must receive training for each function they wish to perform, and proof must be available if requested. In order to receive expanded duties training, you must:
1a. Be a DANB certified dental assistant (CDA), OR
1b. Have at least 2 years of experience as a registered dental assistant. This applies whether in state or out of state.
How to Become a Certified Dental Assistant in Iowa
There is also the position of certified dental assistant (CDA), which most view as the highest status a dental assistant can earn. As a certified dental assistant, you will be able to earn more and receive additional benefits, and the process to become one isn’t difficult. In order to become DANB certified, you must:
1. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program OR have at least 2 years/3,500 hours of experience as a dental assistant
2. Obtain CPR certification from a DANB accepted provider
3. Apply for and pass the DANB CDA exam, and upon completion you will be an official CDA
You will have to pass a few requirements if you want to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiographic procedures. In order to receive radiography qualification, you must:
1a. Either be a dental assistant trainee or a current RDA, OR
1b. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program, OR
1c. Currently hold an Iowa nursing license, AND
2. Send proof of completion of a Board approved course in dental radiography within two years of applying (the DANB RHS exam meets this requirement), AND
3. Apply to the Iowa Dental Board for a qualification in dental radiography
Dental Assisting Schools in Iowa
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Public Health Global Health
- Master of Public Health: Nutrition
- Master of Public Health: Health Promotion
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner