How to Become a Dental Assistant In Iowa
How to Become a Dental Assistant In Iowa
So, you are probably wondering how to become a dental assistant in Iowa, but it will depend on what position you want. You have the choice of being a dental assistant trainee, a registered dental assistant, a registered dental assistant qualified in expanded duties, and of course the nationally recognized certified dental assistant. There are also a few requirements you will have to meet if you want to operate dental x-ray equipment. So with that being said, here is how to become a dental assistant in Iowa with figures on dental assistant salary too.
Dental Assistant Salary in Iowa
Dental Assistant Trainee
The position of dental assistant trainee is exactly what it sounds like, a dental assistant in training to become a registered dental assistant. You will need to make sure you have a trainee status certificate before the first date of employment, and you can obtain a certificate from the Iowa Dental Board. Prior to applying to the Board, you must:
1a. Complete high school or its equivalent (e.g. GED) AND be at least 17 years old, OR
1b. Be enrolled in an education or work study program offered through an Iowa high school, AND
2. Apply to the Iowa Dental Board for a trainee status certificate
Registered Dental Assistant (RDA)
A registered dental assistant (RDA) is a position that is recognized in the state of Iowa and you will need to receive a license first. Doing so will allow you to perform all of the duties listed under Iowa’s dental regulations. To qualify as an RDA, you must:
1a. Have at least six months of work experience as a dental assistant trainee, OR
1b. If out of state, have at least six months of prior work experience as a dental assistant within the past two years, OR
1c. Complete a CODA accredited dental assistant program approved by the Board, AND
2. Complete a course of study in infection control, hazardous materials, and jurisprudence that is approved by the Board. The course of study can be taken as part of an accredited dental assisting program or on the job with guidelines that are approved by the Board, AND
3. Complete and pass the required exams in infection control, hazardous materials, and jurisprudence. Exams may be taken from Board approved testing centers or by taking the DANB Infection Control Exam (ICE), AND
4. Obtain CPR certification, AND
5. Apply to the Iowa Dental Board for an RDA license of registration
Registered Dental Assistant with Expanded Duties Training
A registered dental assistant with expanded duties training may perform specific functions after receiving Board approved training. A registered dental assistant must receive training for each function they wish to perform, and proof must be available if requested. In order to receive expanded duties training, you must:
1a. Be a DANB certified dental assistant (CDA), OR
1b. Have at least 2 years of experience as a registered dental assistant. This applies whether in state or out of state.
How to Become a Certified Dental Assistant in Iowa
There is also the position of certified dental assistant (CDA), which most view as the highest status a dental assistant can earn. As a certified dental assistant, you will be able to earn more and receive additional benefits, and the process to become one isn’t difficult. In order to become DANB certified, you must:
1. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program OR have at least 2 years/3,500 hours of experience as a dental assistant
2. Obtain CPR certification from a DANB accepted provider
3. Apply for and pass the DANB CDA exam, and upon completion you will be an official CDA
You will have to pass a few requirements if you want to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiographic procedures. In order to receive radiography qualification, you must:
1a. Either be a dental assistant trainee or a current RDA, OR
1b. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program, OR
1c. Currently hold an Iowa nursing license, AND
2. Send proof of completion of a Board approved course in dental radiography within two years of applying (the DANB RHS exam meets this requirement), AND
3. Apply to the Iowa Dental Board for a qualification in dental radiography
Dental Assisting Schools in Iowa
- Medical Assisting A.A.S.
- Medical Assisting Diploma
- A.A.S. Emergency Medical Services
- And more...
- Medical Assistant
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
Maryville University is a private university in St. Louis County, Missouri. Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a comprehensive and nationally ranked private institution with an enrollment of more than 6,800 students.
- Online MHA Concentration in Population Management
- Online MHA Concentration in Senior Services
- Online General MHA
- And more...