How to Become a Dental Assistant In Iowa
How to Become a Dental Assistant In Iowa
So, you are probably wondering how to become a dental assistant in Iowa, but it will depend on what position you want. You have the choice of being a dental assistant trainee, a registered dental assistant, a registered dental assistant qualified in expanded duties, and of course the nationally recognized certified dental assistant. There are also a few requirements you will have to meet if you want to operate dental x-ray equipment. So with that being said, here is how to become a dental assistant in Iowa with figures on dental assistant salary too.
Dental Assistant Salary in Iowa
Dental Assistant Trainee
The position of dental assistant trainee is exactly what it sounds like, a dental assistant in training to become a registered dental assistant. You will need to make sure you have a trainee status certificate before the first date of employment, and you can obtain a certificate from the Iowa Dental Board. Prior to applying to the Board, you must:
1a. Complete high school or its equivalent (e.g. GED) AND be at least 17 years old, OR
1b. Be enrolled in an education or work study program offered through an Iowa high school, AND
2. Apply to the Iowa Dental Board for a trainee status certificate
Registered Dental Assistant (RDA)
A registered dental assistant (RDA) is a position that is recognized in the state of Iowa and you will need to receive a license first. Doing so will allow you to perform all of the duties listed under Iowa’s dental regulations. To qualify as an RDA, you must:
1a. Have at least six months of work experience as a dental assistant trainee, OR
1b. If out of state, have at least six months of prior work experience as a dental assistant within the past two years, OR
1c. Complete a CODA accredited dental assistant program approved by the Board, AND
2. Complete a course of study in infection control, hazardous materials, and jurisprudence that is approved by the Board. The course of study can be taken as part of an accredited dental assisting program or on the job with guidelines that are approved by the Board, AND
3. Complete and pass the required exams in infection control, hazardous materials, and jurisprudence. Exams may be taken from Board approved testing centers or by taking the DANB Infection Control Exam (ICE), AND
4. Obtain CPR certification, AND
5. Apply to the Iowa Dental Board for an RDA license of registration
Registered Dental Assistant with Expanded Duties Training
A registered dental assistant with expanded duties training may perform specific functions after receiving Board approved training. A registered dental assistant must receive training for each function they wish to perform, and proof must be available if requested. In order to receive expanded duties training, you must:
1a. Be a DANB certified dental assistant (CDA), OR
1b. Have at least 2 years of experience as a registered dental assistant. This applies whether in state or out of state.
How to Become a Certified Dental Assistant in Iowa
There is also the position of certified dental assistant (CDA), which most view as the highest status a dental assistant can earn. As a certified dental assistant, you will be able to earn more and receive additional benefits, and the process to become one isn’t difficult. In order to become DANB certified, you must:
1. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program OR have at least 2 years/3,500 hours of experience as a dental assistant
2. Obtain CPR certification from a DANB accepted provider
3. Apply for and pass the DANB CDA exam, and upon completion you will be an official CDA
You will have to pass a few requirements if you want to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiographic procedures. In order to receive radiography qualification, you must:
1a. Either be a dental assistant trainee or a current RDA, OR
1b. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program, OR
1c. Currently hold an Iowa nursing license, AND
2. Send proof of completion of a Board approved course in dental radiography within two years of applying (the DANB RHS exam meets this requirement), AND
3. Apply to the Iowa Dental Board for a qualification in dental radiography
Dental Assisting Schools in Iowa
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities. Established in 1997, the Milken Institute SPH brings together the fields of medicine, business and education to develop professionals with the skills and knowledge to tackle complex global health challenges.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree to be qualified for this school.
- Master of Public Health
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
The field of technology is rapidly evolving to meet the growing demands of modern society. For those seeking a future in tech, this means maintaining skills, increasingknowledge and quickly adapting to change. For today’s students, however, successwill require dedication, commitment and access to education specifically designedto meet the demands of this dynamic industry.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online