How to Become a Dental Assistant In Iowa
How to Become a Dental Assistant In Iowa
So, you are probably wondering how to become a dental assistant in Iowa, but it will depend on what position you want. You have the choice of being a dental assistant trainee, a registered dental assistant, a registered dental assistant qualified in expanded duties, and of course the nationally recognized certified dental assistant. There are also a few requirements you will have to meet if you want to operate dental x-ray equipment. So with that being said, here is how to become a dental assistant in Iowa with figures on dental assistant salary too.
Dental Assistant Salary in Iowa
Dental Assistant Trainee
The position of dental assistant trainee is exactly what it sounds like, a dental assistant in training to become a registered dental assistant. You will need to make sure you have a trainee status certificate before the first date of employment, and you can obtain a certificate from the Iowa Dental Board. Prior to applying to the Board, you must:
1a. Complete high school or its equivalent (e.g. GED) AND be at least 17 years old, OR
1b. Be enrolled in an education or work study program offered through an Iowa high school, AND
2. Apply to the Iowa Dental Board for a trainee status certificate
Registered Dental Assistant (RDA)
A registered dental assistant (RDA) is a position that is recognized in the state of Iowa and you will need to receive a license first. Doing so will allow you to perform all of the duties listed under Iowa’s dental regulations. To qualify as an RDA, you must:
1a. Have at least six months of work experience as a dental assistant trainee, OR
1b. If out of state, have at least six months of prior work experience as a dental assistant within the past two years, OR
1c. Complete a CODA accredited dental assistant program approved by the Board, AND
2. Complete a course of study in infection control, hazardous materials, and jurisprudence that is approved by the Board. The course of study can be taken as part of an accredited dental assisting program or on the job with guidelines that are approved by the Board, AND
3. Complete and pass the required exams in infection control, hazardous materials, and jurisprudence. Exams may be taken from Board approved testing centers or by taking the DANB Infection Control Exam (ICE), AND
4. Obtain CPR certification, AND
5. Apply to the Iowa Dental Board for an RDA license of registration
Registered Dental Assistant with Expanded Duties Training
A registered dental assistant with expanded duties training may perform specific functions after receiving Board approved training. A registered dental assistant must receive training for each function they wish to perform, and proof must be available if requested. In order to receive expanded duties training, you must:
1a. Be a DANB certified dental assistant (CDA), OR
1b. Have at least 2 years of experience as a registered dental assistant. This applies whether in state or out of state.
How to Become a Certified Dental Assistant in Iowa
There is also the position of certified dental assistant (CDA), which most view as the highest status a dental assistant can earn. As a certified dental assistant, you will be able to earn more and receive additional benefits, and the process to become one isn’t difficult. In order to become DANB certified, you must:
1. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program OR have at least 2 years/3,500 hours of experience as a dental assistant
2. Obtain CPR certification from a DANB accepted provider
3. Apply for and pass the DANB CDA exam, and upon completion you will be an official CDA
You will have to pass a few requirements if you want to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiographic procedures. In order to receive radiography qualification, you must:
1a. Either be a dental assistant trainee or a current RDA, OR
1b. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program, OR
1c. Currently hold an Iowa nursing license, AND
2. Send proof of completion of a Board approved course in dental radiography within two years of applying (the DANB RHS exam meets this requirement), AND
3. Apply to the Iowa Dental Board for a qualification in dental radiography
Dental Assisting Schools in Iowa
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Diploma: Dental Assistant
- Medical Assisting Diploma
Get personalized attention with UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services-they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training online and at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities. Established in 1997, the Milken Institute SPH brings together the fields of medicine, business and education to develop professionals with the skills and knowledge to tackle complex global health challenges.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree to be qualified for this school.
- Master of Public Health
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing