How to Become a Dental Assistant in Illinois
How to Become a Dental Assistant in Illinois
So you’re probably wondering how to become a dental assistant in Illinois, but this really depends on what job title you would like. There is the dental assistant, dental assistant qualified in expanded functions, and the nationally recognized certified dental assistant. As for radiography requirements, whereas other states require a license to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiography procedures, Illinois does not. Continuing on, here is how to become a dental assistant in Illinois as well as information on dental assistant salary.
Dental Assistant Salary in Illinois
There are no education or training requirements needed to become a dental assistant in Illinois. Oftentimes you will receive training on the job, and as a dental assistant you will be able to perform basic supportive dental procedures, as long as they are specified in Illinois’ dental regulations and performed under the supervision of a licensed dentist. You can view the allowed tasks here. You are also allowed to operate dental x-ray equipment as well as perform radiography procedures.
Dental Assistant Qualified in Expanded Functions
The next level of dental assisting is the dental assistant qualified in expanded functions. As you can guess, this position allows you to perform additional procedures as long as you earn a state qualification for each specified function. In order to qualify, you must:
1. Be at least 18 years old, AND
2a. Have at least 1,000 hours of clinical experience as a dental assistant, OR
2c. Obtain DANB certified dental assistant (CDA) status, AND
3a. Complete a Board approved course related to the expanded function that you are interested in, with specific didactic and clinical requirements, OR
3b. Send proof to the Illinois Board of Dentistry of a completed dental assisting program that includes a course in the expanded function
**Monitoring of administration of nitrous oxide, sedation, or general anesthesia requires dental assistants to maintain Basic Life Support of Healthcare Providers certification or the equivalent**
How to Become a Certified Dental Assistant in Illinois
There is also the option to become a certified dental assistant (CDA), which is a nationally recognized job title in the US that allows you to make a higher salary as well as receive extra benefits. In order to become certified, you must:
1. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program OR have at least two years/3,500 hours of experience a dental assistant, AND
2. Obtain CPR certification, AND
3. Apply for and pass the DANB CDA exam, which grants you the status of CDA
All dental assistants in Illinois can legally operate dental x-ray equipment and perform dental radiography procedures.
Dental Assisting Schools in Illinois
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Veterinary Assisting
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Exercise Science
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Public Health (MPH)
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Master of Public Health
- BS in Public Health
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- Master of Public Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education