How to Become a Dental Assistant in Illinois
How to Become a Dental Assistant in Illinois
So you’re probably wondering how to become a dental assistant in Illinois, but this really depends on what job title you would like. There is the dental assistant, dental assistant qualified in expanded functions, and the nationally recognized certified dental assistant. As for radiography requirements, whereas other states require a license to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiography procedures, Illinois does not. Continuing on, here is how to become a dental assistant in Illinois as well as information on dental assistant salary.
Dental Assistant Salary in Illinois
There are no education or training requirements needed to become a dental assistant in Illinois. Oftentimes you will receive training on the job, and as a dental assistant you will be able to perform basic supportive dental procedures, as long as they are specified in Illinois’ dental regulations and performed under the supervision of a licensed dentist. You can view the allowed tasks here. You are also allowed to operate dental x-ray equipment as well as perform radiography procedures.
Dental Assistant Qualified in Expanded Functions
The next level of dental assisting is the dental assistant qualified in expanded functions. As you can guess, this position allows you to perform additional procedures as long as you earn a state qualification for each specified function. In order to qualify, you must:
1. Be at least 18 years old, AND
2a. Have at least 1,000 hours of clinical experience as a dental assistant, OR
2c. Obtain DANB certified dental assistant (CDA) status, AND
3a. Complete a Board approved course related to the expanded function that you are interested in, with specific didactic and clinical requirements, OR
3b. Send proof to the Illinois Board of Dentistry of a completed dental assisting program that includes a course in the expanded function
**Monitoring of administration of nitrous oxide, sedation, or general anesthesia requires dental assistants to maintain Basic Life Support of Healthcare Providers certification or the equivalent**
How to Become a Certified Dental Assistant in Illinois
There is also the option to become a certified dental assistant (CDA), which is a nationally recognized job title in the US that allows you to make a higher salary as well as receive extra benefits. In order to become certified, you must:
1. Complete a CODA accredited dental assisting program OR have at least two years/3,500 hours of experience a dental assistant, AND
2. Obtain CPR certification, AND
3. Apply for and pass the DANB CDA exam, which grants you the status of CDA
All dental assistants in Illinois can legally operate dental x-ray equipment and perform dental radiography procedures.
Dental Assisting Schools in Illinois
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Dental Assistant
Northwestern College is a special place. Focused programs. Flexible schedules. Supportive faculty. Externship opportunities. But you probably know all of that. What you may not know is what’s behind it. Our history, our mission, our whole philosophy really. Simply put, it’s about preparing people well and quickly for a lifetime of opportunities.
- Dental Assisting Certificate
- Medical Assisting Certificate
Get personalized attention with UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services-they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training online and at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Medical Assisting
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Public Health (MPH)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- Master of Public Health
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management