How to Become a Dental Assistant In Georgia
How to Become a Dental Assistant In Georgia
So you’re probably wondering how to become a dental assistant in Georgia but there are a couple of positions you can take. There is the basic dental assistant, the expanded duty dental assistant, and not to mention the nationally recognized certified dental assistant. There are also a few requirements you will have to meet if you wish to operate dental x-ray equipment in the state of Georgia. But for the most part the process is fairly simple. Here is how to become a dental assistant in Georgia, as well as dental assistant salary figures.
Dental Assistant Salary in Georgia
To become a dental assistant in Georgia you do not need any educational or training requirements. Pretty kick-ass right? So all you need to do to start is to apply for jobs that offer on-the-job training. As a dental assistant you will be able to perform basic supportive procedures under the supervision of a licensed dentist, as long as those procedures are stated in the Georgia’s dental regulations. You can find out more information at the Georgia Board of Dentistry or learn about the procedures allowed here. For expanded functions such as phlebotomy or venipuncture you will need to get the proper training first.
Expanded Duty Dental Assistant (EDDA)
The expanded duty dental assistant (EDDA) is allowed to perform extra functions that ordinarily a regular dental assistant can not. However, there are a few requirements to meet first before you can earn the status of EDDA. They are as follows:
1. Complete high school or its equivalent
2. Obtain CPR certification from a Board-approved provider
3. Complete a Board-approved course and obtain a certificate for each specific expanded duty. Only the expanded duties that are listed on the certificate may be performed by an EDDA.
**Becoming a DANB CDA is one way in which you can qualify to take Georgia Board approved courses**
How to Become a Certified Dental Assistant (CDA)
The position of certified dental assistant (CDA) is often regarded as the highest position you can get. Becoming one makes you a nationally recognized dental assistant, and allows you to earn more among other benefits. The process is quite simple and all you need to do is:
1. Complete a CODA accredited dental assistant program or have at least 2 years/3,500 hours of dental assistant experience
2. Obtain CPR certification from a DANB provider
3. Apply for and pass the DANB CDA exam
If you wish to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiographic procedures you must complete Board-approved training first. What you need to do is:
1. Complete at least 6 hours of instruction that the Georgia Department of Human Services’ X-Ray requires (the DANB RHS review course meets the requirements). Instruction should begin within a 30 day period of initial employment and completed no more than 90 days after employment begins.
2. Show proof of x-ray training that meets the DHS requirements
Dental Assisting Schools in Georgia
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Dental Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Clinical Assistant - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate of Applied Science
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Assisting
Our mission is to provide career focused education for the purpose of gaining entry-level employment and advancement opportunities which will empower college students to positively contribute to their communities.
- Medical Assistant - Associate
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Medical Assistant Associate's Degree
- Medical Assistant Diploma
- Medical Office Specialist Diploma
Helms College, a nonprofit post-secondary career college operated by Goodwill Industries of Middle Georgia and the CSRA, has been granted continued accreditation by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET), a national accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- Multi-Skilled Medical Assistant
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)