How to Become a Dental Assistant in Florida
How to Become a Dental Assistant in Florida
Wondering how to become a dental assistant in Florida? There are essentially three positions you can pursue, which includes the on the job trained dental assistant, expanded functions dental assistant, and of course the nationally recognized certified dental assistant. There are also a few radiography requirements to complete if you are to operate dental x-ray equipment and perform radiography procedures. With that said, here is how to become a dental assistant in Florida, along with some dental assistant salary figures.
Dental Assistant Salary in Florida
On the Job Trained Dental Assistant
This position is exactly what it sounds like. You will have to receive on-the-job training under the supervision of a licensed dentist, who will assume full responsibility for your competency in performing tasks. As a dental assistant, you will be able to perform basic supportive dental procedures as specified by the state’s dental practice act. You can view all allowed duties here. You can also visit the Florida Board of Dentistry for more information.
Expanded Functions Dental Assistant
In order to perform expanded functions (listed in your state’s Dental Practice Act) you must go through some formal training. To qualify, you must either:
1a. Complete a CODA-accredited dental assisting program, OR
1b. Complete an Board approved expanded duties training program
How to Become a Certified Dental Assistant in Florida
A certified dental assistant is a nationally recognized job title, and allows you to earn more as well as receive additional benefits. To become certified in Florida, you must:
1. Graduate from a CODA accredited dental assisting program, of which there are over 20 in the state of Florida, AND
2. Obtain CPR certification from a DANB accepted provide, AND
3. Apply for and pass the DANB CDA examination to become nationally certified.
To be able to perform radiographic procedures and operate dental x-ray equipment there are a few requirements you will have to meet. They are as follows:
1a. You must graduate from a dental assisting program approved by the Florida Board of Dentistry, OR
1b. Obtain state certification from the Florida Department of Health (FDOH) as a dental radiographer.
To become state-certified you must go through at least 3 months of on-the-job training involving radiographs under supervision of a dentist, complete a Florida Board approved radiology course within 12 months of on-the-job training, and apply to the FDOH for certification.
Dental Assisting Schools in Florida
- Dental Assistant (10-Month diploma program)
- Medical Assistant Technician (10-Month diploma program)
Get personalized attention at UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services—they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
- Dental Assistant Program
- Medical Assistant
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
Southern Technical College provides education and training in a variety of medical and technical areas that enable graduates to obtain entry-level employment. As a student at Southern Technical College, you will have the opportunity learn in several different ways.
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting (Diploma)
- Medical Assisting (Associates)
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Medical Assistant Associate's Degree
- Medical Assistant Diploma
Get personalized attention with UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services-they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training online and at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Diploma - Healthcare Technology and Systems
Our career-focused programs and flexible class schedules make Southeastern a great choice for busy working adults. Small classes ensure personalized attention for each student, and you will gain career skills in an educational environment that simulates the workplace, so you can begin using your education immediately on the job.
- Diploma in Medical Assisting
- Diploma in Medical Assisting - Bilingual
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice