Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Are you wondering how much do dental assistants make? Well, one of the fastest growing health occupations in the US also provides for a good salary and benefits. But this isn’t true everywhere in the US. Indeed, salary can vary between states. For example dental assistants in New Hampshire make an average of $43,480 per year, which is the highest average salary in the US. On the other hand a dental assistant in West Virginia can see an average salary of $27,170 per year, which is the lowest in the US. Metropolitan areas tend to have higher salaries while the opposite can be said for rural areas.
How Much do Dental Assistants Make?
Exactly how much do dental assistants make can be impacted by a variety of factors from state to state. Job market, cost of living, and demand play a big role in salary.
Factors that affect salary include:
- Geographic location - States with a higher population usually demand for more DAs and so often these states offer a higher salary. Metropolitan cities such as Manchester, San Francisco, Barnstable, and Minneapolis offers the highest salaries in the US.
- Duties – The more duties a DA is capable of the more of an asset they are to the office.
- Training – Dental assistant training can be optional for many DAs but it offers a lot of benefits over no formal training DAs, including higher trust from employers and recognition in most states.
- Certification – Becoming certified gives employees better benefits and a higher salary. Also, certified dental assistants have a better chance of getting hired and staying hired.
- Experience – The DAs making the most per year are also the ones with the most experience.
|Top 10 Highest Paying States||Top 10 Lowest Paying States|
|1. New Hampshire $43,480||1. West Virginia $27,170|
|2. Minnesota $42,420||2. Utah $27,460|
|3. Alaska $41,970||3. Arkansas $28,590|
|4. Massachusetts $41,290||4. Louisiana $29,460|
|5. Connecticut $40,680||5. Alabama $29,550|
How Much do Dental Assistants Make by State
For a visual representation check out this map.