What duties are you going to expect as a dental assistant? Dental assistants are crucial to the office for they help increase the efficiency of the entire dental procedure. With that said there are numerous roles a DA must fill in order to accomplish that. Dental assistant duties can vary by state but there are a handful of common tasks that most DAs perform. Most of them relate either to clinical or office tasks. Today we will take a look at the dental assistant job description.
Dental Assistant Job Description
A dental assistant has multiple tasks and skills to provide that can span anywhere from clinical to administrative tasks. Clinical tasks are often closely related to interpersonal interaction with patients and co-workers while administrative work requires more technical skill with computers and office management. Most offices have less than 100 employees so a DA’s job is very important. Dental assistant duties revolve around helping the dentist provide a fast and effective treatment to patients. However some states require standards being met for expanded functions such as taking X-rays or working in the laboratory.
Dental assistant duties that are part of the dental assistant job description include:
|Clinical Tasks||Administrative Tasks|
To do your job well you will need to know how to:
- Work efficiently with dental staff
- Communicate effectively with patients and dental staff
- Disinfect dental tools properly
- Work with patients to provide a good experience
- Explain dental hygiene and proper care of teeth
- Stay focused during the dental procedure
- Maintain attention to detail/listen to the dentist
- Stay organized/manage the office